Parts of Western Papua in precolonial times were subject to the Sultanate of Tidore (Nusantara/Indonesia). Dutch began to establish outposts in 1828, claiming western New Guinea for the Dutch East Indies. Indonesia was proclaimed an independent nation on 17th August, 1945, but until 1949 the Netherlands held on to Netherlands New Guinea. In the early 1960es Indonesia launched its Konfrontasi (confrontation) policy against colonialism; in 1963 the Dutch withdrew and Netherlands New Guinea, renamed Irian Jaya, was formally returned to Indonesia supported by the United Nations. In 2003 the province was split in two, Irian Jaya and West Irian Jaya. In 2007 the provinces were renamed, Papua and West Papua respectively.